On this present day in 1970, the second lyrical half of A Tribe Called Quest, Phife Dawg was born. Born Malik Isaac Taylor in Queens, New York, Phife was one-fourth of some of the influential teams in Hip-Hop tradition; A Tribe Called Quest. It’s been nearly 4 years since Phife misplaced his battle with diabetes, nonetheless, his music will dwell on for eternity.
On a lot of ATCQ’s tracks, followers have all the time rightfully celebrated Q-Tip’s lyricism, however not often gave Phife Dawg his correct due. In the posthumous honor of his birthday, we have now put collectively an inventory of his high 5 hottest verses to shine a lightweight on the unsung lyrical phenom that’s Phife Dawg.
5. “Electric Relaxation” On this standout observe from the album Midnight Marauders, Phife and The Abstract went toe to toe, buying and selling off verse with out a hook till the track ended, with standout bars like, “Let me hit it from the back, girl I won’t catch a hernia/Bust off on your couch, now you got Seaman’s Furniture..”and let’s not neglect, “I like ‘em brown, yellow, Puerto Rican or Haitian/Name is Phife Dawg from the Zulu Nation..”
4. “La Schmoove” This was a featured verse from Phife Dawg on a observe by Brooklyn rap tongue twisters Fu Schnickens. On this observe, Phife had the third verse, but opened it prefer it was his personal track saying,
“Now here I go, once again with the ill flow/Other MC’s that rap, their style is so-so..”
3. “Scenario” Being some of the well-liked songs on A Tribe Called Quest’s Low End Theory album, Phife Dawg’s opening verse is one which rings within the ears of many rap followers.
“Ayo, Bo knows this, and Bo knows that/ But bo don’t know jack cause Bo can’t rap//Well what do you know, the Di-Dawg, is first up to bat/No batteries included and no strings attached.”
2. “Award Tour” Another lower from Midnight Marauders, Award Tour was an enormous success for A Tribe Called Quest. It additionally homes a few of Phife Dawg’s strongest metaphors.
“I have a quest to have a mic in my hand/without that, it’s like Kryptonite and Superman/So Shaheed come in with the sugar cuts//Phife Dawg’s my name, but on stage, call me Dynomut..t”
“So, next time that you think you want something here/Make something dope or take that garbage to St.Elsewhere..”
1. “Buggin Out” Coming from their hottest album, that is thought to be Phife’s illest bars. Phife Dawg spits two of the toughest verses on the album on this one file.
“Yo microphone check one, two, what is this?/The five foot assassin with the roughneck business/I float like gravity, never had a cavity/Got more rhymes than the Winans got family..”
“You soar off to another world, deep in your mind/But people seem to take that, as being unkind/’Oh yo he’s acting stank,’ really on the regal?/a man of the fame not a man of the people/believe that if you want but I tell you this much/riding on the train with no dough, sucks..”